Friday, October 11, 2013

Women of Latin hip hop




"We want to eradicate education as a business, education should be a social right"

*Update (Nov. 6): The students and teachers of Chile are still fighting




In one song on her new album, called Bruja (Witch), Mala boast about turning 33. "I am 33," she raps. "The job of a man cannot be done by a boy." When I meet with her in Mexico City she explains the song. "Today, as a 34 -year-old woman, I have a lot more power than I did when I was 19. I know myself. I know my sexuality. I know my thoughts. And that reflects on my work." She says titled her album Bruja because she wanted to re-appropriate a pejorative. "I like 'witch' because it symbolizes women who have been historically vilified for doing positive or strong things." - NPR article linked below

NPR has a nice piece on the women of latin hip hop: here

No comments:

Post a Comment